My friend Ilana and I have decided to start our own podcast about… wait for it… Romance novels!
with Wendy and Ilana
It’s a book club of sorts. We will be talking about a particular book while drinking drinks. Get it? We will be getting literary, while literally getting lit! *Nudge nudge wink wink*
Today we talked about the book Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal. Ilana made up her own drink, and called it The Tableau Vivante, in reference to a special type of magic from the book. I just went with my go-to cocktail, the Negroni
Ilana’s Drink: The Tableau Vivante.
1.5 oz gin
1 oz pear snapps
1/4 cup club soda
1/2 cup ginger ale
1 maraschino cherry for garnish
shake up in a cocktail shaker for fanciness.
Wendy’s Drink: Negroni
Two parts gin
1 part Campari
1 part red vermouth (I use the brand Dolin)
Stir in chilled glass. Add one of those big ass ice cubes. Twist an orange peel over the drink and add to drink for extra flavor.
Other books we talked about:
- Mate Bond by Jennifer Ashley
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
- The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon
- Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
- The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perserverence and Hope in Troubled Times by Paul Rogat Loeb
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
- Charles Dickens
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
- The Bronte Sisters (generally)
- Heart Shaped Hack by Tracey Garvis-Graves
- Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Also, there’s a specific section for Wendy’s Rants, this one titled:
It’s Not Stalking If He’s Sexy
Book we will read next time is The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley.
Next podcast slated to happen…sometime.
In the near future.
2-4 weeks from now.
PS: Please excuse the shuffling sound! My dog was restless and she kept moving my laptop. Also, if anyone has any pointers on how to record two people in different states at the same time please share. Our current mode is not ideal, but works in a pinch. Total budget is about $20.